Sunday, May 31, 2015
Hello locals! For those of you looking for good deals on household items, I have two sales to tell you about. THE WISE PENNY is currently offering 50% off all housewares. In addition, the owners of SUNPORCH ANTIQUES are retiring and offering steep discounts as they attempt to clear out their inventory. Happy shopping :-)
Wednesday, May 27, 2015
Spring is such a fantastic time in Lake Walker, in large part due to all the wonderful flowers. I especially love all the azaleas that can be found in the neighborhood. Here are a few images I snapped not too long ago when they were in full bloom.
I'm big on garden inspiration these days, as the hubs and I are planning a large landscape overhaul soon. There'll be more to come on that adventure shortly.
"One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon instead of enjoying the roses that are blooming outside our windows today." ~Dale Carnegie
Tuesday, May 19, 2015
Hi neighbors! I wanted to alert you to a cool free event being held in Baltimore. It's a celebration of the Hubble Telescope's 25th anniversary. The event will take place Saturday June 6th from 10am to 6pm at the Space Telescope Science Institute. It will feature tons of free science and engineering exhibits and hands-on activities for the whole family. Learn more and sign up for the event HERE.
Tuesday, May 12, 2015
One of my favorite Baltimore restaurants is a place called TERRA CAFE. The hubs and I have been going there for years. It's not super close to where we live, but it's well worth the drive down to Charles Village. Terra offers delicious inexpensive comfort food, in a warm casual environment. The veggie wrap, mac and cheese, fish sub, yams, and chicken dishes are all scrumptious and cost under $10. The Terra Burger is AMAZING and makes me miss the days when I ate red meat. I have used them for catering in the past, and my guests were very happy campers.
What makes this place extra special is not just the food, but the vibe when you come inside. The owner is an awesome guy by the name of Terrence who is so much fun to talk to, and never forgets a customer's face. He is also super active in the Baltimore community and regularly assembles groups of volunteers to distribute food to the homeless, should you be looking for any outreach opportunities. The sign on the front of the restaurant says "welcome family", and you will feel it come to life should you decide to stop in. Make sure to go when you have a good amount of free time though because it can be crowded and service is not very fast, but worth the wait. Feel free to bring little ones with you.
Friday, May 8, 2015
- Cut into chunks and roast one beet in the oven on 400 degrees, sprinkled with olive oil, salt and pepper. Remove from oven once a fork can easily pierce the beet.
- While beet is roasting boil one large red potato.
- When beet is almost done roasting begin roasting 3 garlic cloves and 3 shallots.
- Dice cooked potato and add to a simmering pot of veggie broth, then add roasted beet, garlic, shallots
- Season soup with thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste
- Add 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar (or more if you'd like) and continue simmering for a few minutes.
- Take cooked soup of stove and puree in blender or with stick blender
- Garnish soup with extra parsley, olive oil, and balsamic. You can also add pieces of goat cheese if non-vegan.
This pairs well with garlic bread. Enjoy!